Friday, September 02, 2005

The Unthinkable

Things here seem a little surreal at the moment. I've spent days and nights staring at the television in disbelief, at the current of New Orleans and the surrounding areas. I'm constantly amazed at the resilience of the people there and the generosity of those nearby and all throughout the country. There are shelters everywhere here; thousands of people who have been brought to Baton Rouge, New Roads, and other parishes to be temporarily housed. Gas is hard to come by down here and people are trying to stock up. It's hard to imagine what the future holds for these people. No one knows how long it will take to get a hold of the situation in New Orleans and start to rebuild. I've been to a couple of the shelters in my area and people seem to be in good spirits, but it's just the beginning. It's all too much to take in and many times, too depressing to watch and hear about. Everyone is just praying for all those affected by Katrina and their families.
This situation has served as a reminder of my many blessings; my family, my friends, my home, my job and my stability. It has allowed me to be mindful of what is really important and to be grateful for things I take for granted every day. My girls have had many questions about the aftermath of the hurricane and how it has changed the lives of the people living on the Gulf Coast. Their questions and insight into the whole situation are helping me to put the whole thing into perspective. Their willingness to give their own things to the children displaced to our area inspires me. And the simplicity of their thinking allows me to see things the way they should be seen.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Beautiful post. So true. I've cried more in the past days than I have in a long time. We're still waiting to hear from one more family member, but we think he's safe in his family's home.