Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Sardines


We're packed like sardines down here in Southern Louisiana. I'm not complaining. We realize how lucky we are to not have been seriously affected by Katrina. We have our families safe at home, our jobs, our homes and that's the important thing.
But, okay, I lied, I'm complaining a little. Well, sometimes, more than a little. It's impossible to get anywhere in this city in a reasonable amount of time. I went to the doctor yesterday, the uh . . female doctor and I swear every pregnant woman in the state of Louisiana was in that waiting room. And they were all ahead of me. I had to leave without being seen by the doctor because I had to go get the kids and I knew I had a LONG drive ahead of me. I was right. It took me an hour to get back home, instead of the normal 35-40 minutes. The traffic can't be avoided. I think there are about 240,000 extra people in Baton Rouge and 400,000 in EBR parish total.
No wonder we're packed like sardines.
So, know I shouldn't complain. I'm really happy to welcome these people into the city and my hometown. I'm grateful they have a place to stay and I'll do what I can to help. I know they're here to stay for a while, until New Orleans gets back on its feet. But, complaining is in my nature so if you see a crazy woman talking to herself in her car, nodding her head, looking like she'd do just about anything to get out of traffic, just ignore her. It's just me.

(BTW, my friend and I were just talking about how lucky she was to find gas for $2.49 for reg. unleaded?! If you told me last year at this time that I'd be lucky to get gas for that price, I'd think you were smoking the crack pipe).

1 comment:

Mary Tsao said...

Ugh. Hang in there. You're definitely dealing with the day-to-day fallout of this horrible disaster. I didn't realize you were in Baton Rouge. wow. It sounds like services are stretched there -- I'm glad that's where I sent my care packages.

P.S. I'm seriously considering trading in my mommy wagon (SUV) for a toyota prius. These gas prices are unbelievable. It's hard to find unleaded under $3/gallon here in the Bay Area.