Friday, November 03, 2006

My other girl


Kelli and I were like 2 peas in a pod growing up. We always had a built-in playmate in the room next door. But that doesn't mean that we didn't long for an extra girl. Someone to hold the other side of the jump rope so one of us could jump in the middle, someone to be the 3rd Charlie's Angel. What good are Sabrina and Kelly without Jill, right? We had that in a cousin of mine who lived a few houses down from us. She was Jill, she held the rope, she got on our nerves often, but hey, she completed our 'Three Muskateers'.

This face to the left is Anna and Emma's third muskateer. She's my niece, Katie. Right between my two girls in age, she's in 4th grade, while Emma's in 3rd and Anna's in 5th. She has been their partner in crime ever since they were toddlers. They've had many sleepovers, choreographed countless dances, and fought and argued like only 'sisters' can. I can't help but be reminded of my sister and I growing up with my cousin whenever I look at them. It's great that Katie lives just a couple of houses down so the 'commute' from house to house is a common occurrence.

Kelli and I grew apart from our cousin when we got a little older. I hope that this isn't the case for these three. I look forward to many more sleepovers, all day swimming marathons, and having 3 girls on occasion, instead of 2, to keep me smiling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Jill" went off the deep end in weirdsville.

beki said...

How sweet! Your girls, all of them, are luck to have each other.

chesneygirl said...

WHOA!! You've been busy in the last 24 hours or so...THREE posts?!
Where the heck have I been?

Anyway....

This is a nice post.
That's really neat that your girls can have that 3rd "sister" just like you did! And that it can bring back some fun memories for you, I'm sure!

Martie said...

It's wonderful for cousins to be close while growing up. I had cousins like that and I still keep in touch with them all the time....not just weddings and funerals! In fact, one of my cousins made the trip to Denver with me this past June! Hopefully they will remain close...ALWAYS! Family is so important.

Cheryl Wray said...

How sweet!!!
I just recently reconnected with a friend--like just 2 weeks ago--who was my BFF in 2nd-4th grade. She and a third friend played Charlie's Angels every day at recess. I was Jill (and later Kris)! My friend Kelly was Sabrina and my friend Michelle was Kelly. Great memories!!