Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Satisfaction (In Expanded Form)


Emma usually doesn't sweat tests. She usually gets everything she needs from her lessons in class. By the time the test rolls around, we just make one quick go-round over the info and that's it. So, I'm spoiled in the homework/studying department.

But then along came third grade math. She loves math, says it's her favorite subject. But last night she was studying for her test on writing numbers in expanded form (ex. 398,701 would be 300000 + 90000 + 8000 + 700 + 1). Useful stuff, eh? She was very confused and frustrated about 30 minutes into studying and broke down and started crying because she didn't understand it. We took a break for about 15 minutes, which I took advantage of and grabbed a quick bath. When I came back, she was just sitting on the couch crying because she couldn't understand her math.

I thought for a while and came up with a different approach to teach it to her and it worked. She got it, took a practice test and made 100%. All of a sudden, she gave me a huge hug. I asked 'what was that for?' and she said 'Cause you helped me, Mom'. I could have hugged her all night. It gave me such satisfaction. Satisfaction that I don't feel often.
I wonder if teachers get to experience that feeling on a daily basis. If they do, I missed my calling.

20 comments:

Martie said...

I had the same feeling last year with one of my granddaughters. When she finally 'got it' a huge smile came across her face and made me feel soooo good. I think teachers need to teach more than one way so all the kids will 'get it'! Good job, Momma!!!

Spikey1 said...

LOL, I can say the same thing about her! A clone of you!
cheers.

chesneygirl said...

That's so awesome!!!
Can't wait until I get one of those hugs from my little man!

And yes, teachers get to experience that every single day and usually more than once a day...my mom is a teacher and she's had opportunity to retire but she loves it so much that she chooses to continue teaching. Amazing isn't it? :)

Suzanne said...

Good for you! It must be really satisfying to help your child in such a tangible way (and to know that the child recognizes and appreciates it).

Teri said...

math is a tough subject so if you can help the kids get it, that's fabulous. It makes it all worth while when they give you that hug and smile. Melts the heart.

Froggie Mama said...

Awww! How sweet!! Cute story! Glad you were able to help your sweet girl! :)

Thank goodness my hubby is good at Math! He'll be the one helping Lil' Tad! ha!

Cheryl Wray said...

So sweet! Don't you love it when they need us?

hollibobolli said...

I take Emma's victory as a success for all mathematically challenged individuals!!

Yay Emma!!

Were you saying your kids didn't look like you the othr day or did I hallucinate this???

She's such a cutie pie.

Anonymous said...

Ah, one of the many joys of teaching my child at home! YAY Emma! You go girl!

Mise en Place said...

Oh the joys and pains of getting through school. You're right the satisfaction is overwhelming.

I work a lot in my kids school and even tutor some second graders in AR program. To be able to help,then see the kids beam at their accomplishment is the best thing ever. Well, second best to all the squeezes I get from kids I barely know, lol

Hm, could it be we both missed our calling?

:)

Greta Adams said...

that is awesome cause i be damned...i was confused myself there for a hot minute

Cindy N. said...

So you don't suck at homework afterall. You didn't miss your calling my friend, you were called to be a great Mom and that you are!

Laurie said...

Yay, mom! I remember my mom swooping in and saving the day many times like that. I hope that I can handle it as well as you did! I'm probably more likely to lose my temper (a la my dad) and hand it over to Mark to handle!

Amanda said...

Good job!!!! That was sweet of Emma to recognize that you helped her.


Good Mom!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you count spaces and then add zeroes to the selected number? You are a great mom and a wonderful teacher wanna'be. Emma is blossoming into a kind, apprectative and loving mini-adult. She's always been so smart-talking at nine months old- and correcting old people on their grammar usage!!! Love, The Old Woman Next Door

Lisa M. said...

Are those the most precious moments, or what?

*smile* I love days like that.

LAMommyof3 said...

That's exactly why I love teaching so much! The moment when a child says "I get it!!" is what I live for!

Tiffany said...

I think it'd be more practical to teach them that 1,295 is 'one thousand two hundred and ninety five' so when you're writing a check you know what you're doing...whatever :)

glad you could help her out!

kristen said...

Ok so when my daughter gets to 3rd grade you'll come here and teach for us right? right? (=

Anonymous said...

What a great mom you are. I hope to have that kind of patience when it's time to deal with similar frustrations. I'll have to keep that sense of satisfaction in mind!