Saturday, August 12, 2006

Back to school . . already


Thursday, the girls returned to school, looking and acting way more grown-up than I would like.

This is the first year where I haven't pulled their clothes out for them and helped them get ready. Other than about 2 minutes helping Emma with her hair, I did nothing. You're probably thinking 'That's great!' and half of me is too, but the other half misses my 'babies' and wants them to need me.

I still think of them as 'little kids' in so many ways though, even Anna, who is by far, one of the 'bigger' kids of the elementary school. For instance, I kept waiting to have to fill out a form at orientation for her transportation schedule. Every year, we have to fill out a bus or carpool form to make sure they get to where they need to be. I asked the teacher and another parent about this and they pretty much said 'They're old enough to know where to go at this age. We don't need the form anymore'. It took me by surprise for a minute but then I realized that they were right, and that I had to let go of the mentality that Anna is a 'little girl'. It makes me want to cry to write that but hey, I have to face the fact. She did great her first 2 days; she's usually my worrier that has more separation anxiety. So far, she's been fine and I hope it keeps up.

Here's to a great 5th and 3rd grade year!

22 comments:

Drywall Mom said...

The older they get, the less they want you to do things for them. Mine are younger than yours and I feel as though they want to do everything themselves already.

Anonymous said...

Hope they have a great school year and that your mommy separation anxiety is not too bad! They both look so cute!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I hope the school year is fantastic for both girls. See, you have John M to keep you grounded (and not go crazy insane cause both your girls are getting OLDER!).

Martie said...

Mine are all grown up with kids of their own.....and now the grandkids don't even need me like they did when they were younger! Yikes, empty nest syndrom TWICE! LOL

You still have John and I still have Drew to watch on occasion ;)

Nicki said...

They look adorable in their uniforms! I hope they have a wonderful year. :)

Mary Tsao said...

I still cannot get over that you have kids that age. You look like you're still in high school yourself!

Love those uniforms. They are too sweet. Good job, mom!

chesneygirl said...

They're looking so grown up compared to a year ago!!

I still can't get over that school has started...it's AUGUST, it's still SUMMER!?!?! They don't start school up here until Sept 5th!

beki said...

They grow up so fast!

Teri said...

wow, Anna looks THRILLED to be going back to school. : )

Amanda said...

I think missing them during the day is the worst part.I really do hate the growing up part.

Don't worry they will always need you.

I am 29 and I still need my mom.

Don't worry it will all be fine.

Anonymous said...

Yup, they're gonna need you 'till you're old and senile. Which ever way they may act, whatever attitude they may exude, or wherever they may go, they will always count on you to be there for them. And, you will be.
Love, MOM

Unknown said...

My oldest is going into grade 3, my Emma is going into grade 1 and my 3rd is entering junior kindergarten. That's the dude that will make me cry the day he gets on the bus!!

kristen said...

Thanks for commenting today. My daughter starts kindegarten in a few weeks and it's hard to realize how fast our kids grow up isn't it?

Mise en Place said...

Look how nice they look!! Man, I know that feeling....My baby started Kindergarten TODAY!! :(

^starshine said...

This feels like an insight to what I'll be thinking and feeling in a few years when my girls are both in school. :)

I almost feel like a first time mom all over again with this school thing! LOL!!

Froggie Mama said...

Awwww!! Emma & Anna look so cute!! :) Anna esp. looks JUST LIKE YOU! She's mini-FroggieMom! LOL

They DO grow up soooo fast, don't they?! WOW!! And can you believe it's ALREADY time for school? Summer just gets shorter & shorter! *sigh*

Hoping your sweet girls have a great 3rd & 5th grade year!!

Carrie Guevara said...

Cute school-jumpers! The look so grown up . I hope they have a great year. P.s. Love the cooool bookbags :)

4evergapeach said...

BAck to school already? Mine don't start till Sept 5th. You may have those separation blues now, but give it a few years....you won't be able to wait for them to leave! But you'll still miss them and worry about them. So far that hasn't changed and I hope it never does! They'll always be our 'little' ones.

Anonymous said...

Blog addy changed -
http://toessand.blogspot.com

Erin

Greta Adams said...

aren't you so glad....i know i would be...isn't that terrible?

Mrs. Flinger said...

oh, wow! They're so big! (Used to starring at a 2 year old) :-) Have fun gals!

Nabeel said...

i knowww .. back to school already .. happy or sad? are the kids happy and excited? new friends .. new school .. new books :)